[Bf-committers] Mesh pointers removal refactor

Hans Goudey mail at hansgoudey.com
Mon Sep 5 19:58:22 CEST 2022

Hello!

I wanted to give a heads up to developers about a recent change to meshes.
The change affected 233 files-- almost anything that touches mesh data.
Previously you would generally access mesh data with pointers like `Mesh.medge`.
Those were redundant since the data is stored elsewhere anyway (in `CustomData`),
and they caused problems with future copy-on-write improvements.

Now mesh data is retrieved with a C++ API like `Mesh::edges()` or a C API like
`BKE_mesh_edges(mesh)`.

There may be performance implications for the Python API, but so far we have
mostly observed improvements. I hope most questions are addressed by the tasks
and commit below, but let me know (in chat?) if I can clarify anything!

Commit:
* https://developer.blender.org/rB05952aa94d33eeb
Tasks:
* Copy on Write: https://developer.blender.org/T95845