[Bf-committers] Handling of user data.

Ray Molenkamp ray at lazydodo.com
Mon May 9 21:12:09 CEST 2022

All,

It's been years [1] (2018) since I last was rather
vocal on this subject, but how is this [2] still
happening? "Yes, blender deleted your data (and silently
at that), that means it's working correctly!" cannot
possibly be the best we can do, is it?

While I'm excited with all the directions blender
development is currently going, it's utterly depressing that
users are still losing data on a daily basis because
we can't quite get the basics right like "do not delete the
users data without their consent".

These are *NOT* isolated incidents [3]. Losing your
data and learning about "the fake user" shouldn't be
a right of passage to become "a real blender user".
Users shouldn't be silently *losing* data in an operation
ironically called *saving*. That's crazy, no other
application behaves like this!

Yes, I know this is how we have always done it. No,
this is not OK, never was.

Ton: Please make protecting the user’s data a
priority, as it doesn’t seem this will happen otherwise.

--Ray

[1] https://devtalk.blender.org/t/oh-no/505/2
[2] https://developer.blender.org/T97968
[3] https://devtalk.blender.org/t/more/22715