[Bf-committers] move prebuilt libs from svn to git?

Ray Molenkamp ray at lazydodo.com
Sat Jun 18 21:15:40 CEST 2022

Except for you just now i don't think anyone is
questioning the need for version control on the
3rd party dependencies. This tree was there long
before i joined the blender project so can't give
any insights on any controversy in creating it.

However whenever this subject (why svn) comes up,
it tends to be one or both of these scenario's

1) svn is giving people a hard time, calling it
"quirky" would be generous,  it doesn't recover
nicely whenever it runs into trouble, and with
the large size of the libraries and the slow
download speeds for some people it's just bound
to run into trouble. And these people rightfully
question "Why is it like this?"

2) SVN is old, everything uses git these days
it's the hip and trendy new kid on the block.
they never have these kinds of issues with git!
why is blender being so silly, just use git!

on the other hand, no-one is using pure git to manage
a large collection of binaries since it is just not
designed for this job, in much the same way the
hand basket at your local hardware store is not
designed to pick up that 25kg bag of cement.

git-lfs is one of the proposed solutions, but
also not free of problems [1] (written by the
maintainer of an different version control
system, be aware of "some" bias there)

Yet another alternative is to go, 3rd party
dependencies are no concern of us, developers
can go obtain/build these on their own. This is
the stance taken by the majority of opensource
projects. And I'll admit, as one of the people
responsible for the contents of this repository
I can't help feeling some envy there, maintaining
the libs and guaranteeing a smooth experience for
developers is *VERY* time consuming. However seeing
new people join the blender project going "building
blender was much easier than I expected, I finished
my small first patch fixing something that had been
bothering me in under a day" negates those feelings
and makes me realize as a project the blender project
is better for everyone by having these libs available.

SVN is what we have and it's mostly working for us
there's alternatives but there's a lot more nuance
to it than "just use X I never have problems with X"

[1] https://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2021/05/12/why-you-shouldn%27t-use-git-lfs/