[Bf-committers] Attribution style for commits

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Jul 9 10:31:42 CEST 2022

Hi,

We do not allow anonymous commits in Blender code. We always ask people
to identify themselves (can be done in private, to Blender
Foundation/Institute staff). It is still my wish to implement a friendly
CLA for contributors, just to protect Blender and ensure we can remain
Free Software reliably.

You describe a quite unique situation for yourself, where you wish to
keep your legal identity private and even change it.

In that case, I advise you to just waive all rights (copyright and
attributions) of your code contributions to Blender. The Blender
developer, who then accepts your patch, will commit it under his own
name, and under Blender Foundation copyright. In the commit log, a
reference to the patch submission can be made.

The patch submission itself will be logged and backed up, that way there
will be a trace back to your nickname and past conversations.

Note: I am not a copyright expert. I also could not find good
suggestions online from other projects accepting anonymous code.

Thanks,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal - ton at blender.org - www.blender.org
Chairman Blender Foundation, CEO Blender Institute / Studio
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands