[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Sergey Sharybin sergey at blender.org
Mon Jan 24 15:22:16 CET 2022

Hi Brecht,

Sure there are trade-offs and different ways of solving problems. It is
more of what the Blender project considers important. For example: is it
more important to spend developers' time on patching our own version
(effectively, fork) of Python, or deviate from the Platform by updating to
a vanilla newer version of upstream and focus actual development on
something more impactful.

For the distros: we know Blender is used there and that distros contribute
back to Blender. Or, at least, participate in Blender development. To me,
making this part unnecessarily complicated for the distros, and
prioritizing benefits for an unknown number of studios, doesn't seem to
play in the best of open source community driven nature of Blender.

P.S. If the VFX Platform finds it important to use libraries like Python
for longer than the upstream supports them, why can't the people who
benefit from the VFX Platform maintain the forks?

Best regards,
- Sergey -
Sergey Sharybin - sergey at blender.org - www.blender.org
Principal Software Engineer, Blender
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands