[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.org
Mon Jan 24 12:27:53 CET 2022

 On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 02:27:19PM +0100, Dalai Felinto via Bf-committers
wrote:
> To have studios contributing to Blender is a two-way street. And Blender
> sticking to the VFX is the least the Blender project can do on its end.

This seems to ignore the fact that we've already broken with the VFX ref
platform when it comes to the Python version. It was done simply because a
Blender-crashing bug was fixed in Python, and the only way to get that fix
was to get a newer version of Python.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 at 16:31, Sebastian Parborg via Bf-committers <
bf-committers at blender.org> wrote:

> It will lead to very rigid and stale development environment which will
> use obsolete library versions and APIs even before we do a new release.
> Our developers will not be able to be agile when handling library
> related issues or follow upstream development incrementally. This also
> means that we can't collaborate with upstream that well either.

This is also what I suspect might happen when we take the stance to stick
to the VFX platform.

> To me the easiest solution would simply just to take the stance that if
> someone wants to use a frozen and outdated target platform, then they
> can simply just use an older version of Blender that uses the required
> python version and libraries.

Part of the problem is that the VFX platform is all over the place when it
comes to the age of the libraries. It's not just sticking to old versions,
but also has suggested a version of OpenEXR that wouldn't even be released
yet. It's the combination of unusably old and not-yet-usable new that
boggles my mind. There is no old version of Blender that matches the old
versions of the VFX ref platform, because there is no moment in time when
all those versions were considered "current".

Sybren