[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Dalai Felinto dalai at blender.org
Fri Jan 21 14:27:19 CET 2022

Hi,
I believe Blender should stick to the VFX platform.

After all that has been said, I think it may boil down to making a decision
between immediate known benefits and strategic uncertain long-term benefits.

* On one hand we have tangible benefits for some users that we know of
(e.g., Python scripters will benefit from Python 3.10).
* On the other hand sticking to the VFX platform can pay off in the long
run with making Blender more likely to be integrated in large pipelines.

One of the long-term goals for the Blender project, is to welcome more
contributions by the industry. And I think investing on that vision trumps
the immediate benefit the latest Python (or other library) brings to
Blender.

To have studios contributing to Blender is a two-way street. And Blender
sticking to the VFX is the least the Blender project can do on its end. I
look forward to see this and other efforts in that direction, such as
onboarding, code documentation, infrastructure and development practices.

To move this forward I'm setting up a call with the other bf-admins next
week. We will report back afterwards.

Thanks everything for the contributions,
-Dalai-
Dalai Felinto - dalai at blender.org - www.blender.org
Blender Development Coordinator
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands