[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 1040, Issue 1

Sergey Sharybin sergey at blender.org
Fri Jan 21 10:16:34 CET 2022

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing the insights. I've almost missed your reply. We have a
dedicated mailing list thread for it.

The bright side of supporting newer early Python is that the moment VFX
Platform releases its new version for the next year all the work is already
done and even tested! :)

While the following questions might not be directly related to the ongoing
VFX Platform discussion, I've got couple of questions to have a deeper
understanding of the situation and what could potential solutions be:

- Is using Python's Limited API [1] something that was investigated? From a
quick look it seems that it covers everything we use in Cycles Python
module.
- How much easier render engine's development and distribution would be if
they would have access to C++ RNA (same as we use in Cycles) ?

[1] https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/stable.html#c.Py_LIMITED_API

Best regards,
- Sergey -
Sergey Sharybin - sergey at blender.org - www.blender.org
Principal Software Engineer, Blender
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands