[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Ray Molenkamp ray at lazydodo.com
Fri Jan 21 00:51:05 CET 2022

I don't think any of the major vendors (nor us) will build openvdb
with a wonky blosc version that will give compatibility issues, point
is neither the danger of using a "wrong" blosc version nor any other
mention of file compatibility is in the platform (but it is in the
openvdb documentation) So my argument was about not referring to
the platform as an authority on file compatibility, since they aren't.
The choice to follow the platform or not is a completely separate
choice.

I'm desperately trying to get us to a point where rather than an
uncommitted, "we follow some things, not others, kinda depends on our
mood, and if we like to make a random exception or not, also here are
some arbitrary commitments to things that platform doesn't even seem to
do" to a crystal clear:

-These are the things we do
-These are the things we don't

I'd rather give users like you solid hard disappointment you can
count on, than comforting false hope that will disappoint. Guaranteed
platform adherence would have been acceptable as well, but that does
not appear to be the direction we are appear to be leaning.

My objective is to minimize/eliminate the "gray zone" blender has
been in for the last few years regarding the platform, VFX Platform in or
out, I'm cool either way, but we have to pick a team and communicate it
clearly to our users.

--Ray