[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Sergey Sharybin sergey at blender.org
Thu Jan 20 10:29:25 CET 2022

Hi everyone,

I had a discussion with Brecht here. He brought up a good point which I do
agree with him is important: keep render engines working. We do have an
official render engine API, and breaking render engines support without
good reason is not very nice.

Here is an update of my proposal:

> Blender runs on an operating system stated by the VFX Reference Platform,
but the exact library versions are not followed.

The constraints/restrictions are:
- Not to break file compatibility for 3rd party formats such as EXR, VDB,
Alembic: files exported from Blender should be openable in another software
used in the pipeline, and vice-versa
- Not to break external render engines

Think summary of practical implications goes as following:
- We don't update libraries unless there is benefit for Blender users
- All known breakages are announced
- If an unpredicted breakage happens we look into it (same as we look, say,
into conflicts between Mesa and OSL via LLVM)

For the moving forward I think if BF admins agree on the proposal we make
it official and stick to it.

Best regards,
 -Sergey -
Sergey Sharybin - sergey at blender.org - www.blender.org
Principal Software Engineer, Blender
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands