[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Ray Molenkamp ray at lazydodo.com
Mon Jan 17 15:14:56 CET 2022

> I don't really feel great about Python
> being the only exception allowed to be digressed
> from the platform.

I think you're misunderstanding the VFX Platform goals,
it has nothing to do with asset compatibility throughout
the pipeline. Otherwise, it would specify what formats
would have to be supported in OIIO, or what version
of blosc should be used for OpenVDB since using the
"wrong" blosc version will cause files to be unreadable
by older versions. It does none of these things.

No, what it sets out to do is define a tightly controlled binary
runtime environment, if I link my binary addon to the library
versions in the platform, I will be able to load it into the host
applications that follow the platform without issues.

If we break on python, none of the other things in the platform
matter, With the only notable exception being the glibc version
I suppose.

Any commitments we may make to the platform while simultaneously
breaking on python are pointless, so no, that case I make is not
"Only python is/should be the exception", the case is, "If we
break on python there's no need to commit to anything else, so
best not to make any commitments."

--Ray