[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:10:49 CET 2022

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 9:24 PM Sergey Sharybin via Bf-committers

> I agree that the outcome should be much more prominently communicated.
> That's what I think should happen as an outcome of discussion in this
> thread: we come up with policy and explicitly communicate it.

+1, just noting that this was discussed not all that long ago, without
much push to move back to Python supporting the VFX platform.
It seems there was an assumption from some developers more recently
that the VFX-platform reaching Python 3.9 would mean Blender's Python
was following the VFX platform again (instead of this being incidental
and a temporary situation).

> Ray, Campbell: The Python situation is a subset of the proposal in my
> original message. So in this regard we are aligned. But it is not really
> clear to me what your position is when it comes to non-Python. Do you
> disagree with the proposal, are you fine with it, or suggest something else?

In general +1 for your proposal, staying compatible gives an assurance
that Blender will run for organizations using Blender with the VFX
platform without limiting us too much.
It would be good to hear from users who take advantage of the VFX
platform though.