[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Sergey Sharybin sergey at blender.org
Mon Jan 17 11:24:12 CET 2022

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't really feel great about Python being the only exception allowed to
be digressed from the platform. It is the most impactful library from the
ones which are directly facing users. If we allow it to be different from
what the Platform is stating, I don't see issues with digression in other
libraries which nobody from users is likely to even notice.

For the TBB sure there were no big passionate discussions, at least yet. It
doesn't mean staying at an older (officially unsupported, btw) version
doesn't bring, say, maintenance and development and moving forward
complications.

Campbell, it seems something went wrong with URLs in your message. Not sure
which exact mail/thread the first one is supposed to be pointing, and the
second one is 404. Do you mind sending a followup with updated links?

I agree that the outcome should be much more prominently communicated.
That's what I think should happen as an outcome of discussion in this
thread: we come up with policy and explicitly communicate it.

Ray, Campbell: The Python situation is a subset of the proposal in my
original message. So in this regard we are aligned. But it is not really
clear to me what your position is when it comes to non-Python. Do you
disagree with the proposal, are you fine with it, or suggest something else?

Best regards,
- Sergey -
Sergey Sharybin - sergey at blender.org - www.blender.org
Principal Software Engineer, Blender
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands