[Bf-committers] JSON/YAML parsing in CPP

Jeroen Bakker jeroen at blender.org
Wed Sep 15 11:22:03 CEST 2021

Hi All,

For the asset browser we would like to store an index per asset file
(.blend file inside an asset library) to reduce the overhead of showing
assets in the asset browser.

The high level solution we are thinking of is to store an index file next
to the asset file that can be read quickly to find out what assets are
inside the file. The challenge I want to address is the used data format of
that file. We prefer these supporting files to be human readable, but the
structure can be complex. From this point of view we are looking for
YAML/JSON.

Currently we don't have a YAML/JSON parsing library in our core. As we want
to add indexing still as part of Blender 3.0 we might have a timing issue.

In https://developer.blender.org/T91430 2 valid options are desribed.
- use a header only JSON parser.
- use cpp-yaml that is already used by OCIO/OIIO and make it a hard
dependency.

T91430 also mentions an abstration to switch implementations if needed.

We would like to have discussion/feedback from the platform maintainers to
see what would be a valid option for inclusion of asset indexing in Blender
3.0.

Jeroen