[Bf-committers] Blender 2.93 Released! (Bundled Add-on Credit & Online Add-on Repository Discussion)

Ryan Inch mythologylover75 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 07:46:00 CEST 2021

After talking to Thomas Dinges in #blender-coders on blender.chat about
this thread, Dalai Felinto responded there with answers to my questions
posed in my last email.  I had hoped that he would also post them here
to the mailing list, but since he hasn't, I'll re-post my questions here
along with Dalai's answers for brevity.

Questions from my last email:
1. Is there a design task with ideas for the potential add-ons repository?
2. Are you hoping to have this repository up and running for the 3.0
release?
3a. Would it be possible to update the credit gen script to include the
add-ons repository?
3b. Is there a technical limitation I'm unaware of that has prevented
add-ons from being included with the rest of the credits?
4a. In which bcon does the marketing team start looking through the wiki
release notes to compile the fancy release notes?
4b. How long after that is the wiki monitored for updates?

Dalai's answers:
1. Nothing concrete
2. No.
3a. No, this wouldn't be approved I believe, even if someone from the
community helped with the changes.
3b. Not really, though it would be extra work. That said, see 3a.
4a. bcon2 is feature freeze. Though sometimes "they" do it in bcon3.
Nonetheless, the release notes should be updated shortly after a new
feature is committed.
4b. No idea.

While these were not the answers I hoped for, at least everything is out
in the open now.  I'm saddened that the 100s of commits from the
dedicated developers of bundled add-ons will not get included on the
credits page, and I hope that if the Blender Foundation does decide to
go for a new online add-ons repository that they will include the
community add-on developers in the conversation early on so that the
best result for all parties is achieved.

If you wish to verify my reporting of Dalai's answers, here is a link to
his message:
https://blender.chat/channel/blender-coders?msg=4zG7EPiKCPsXvezCG
For those not logged in to rocket.chat, you can scroll back to August
27th, 2021, at 4:30 AM EDT

Ryan