[Bf-committers] VFX reference platform 2022 draft

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 18 16:14:21 CEST 2021

Hi,

The only info regarding versions availability we have is that sentence:

> A change in policy to only allow released versions to be included in
> each year's VFX Reference Platform

This is fairly vague and unclear, since it does not specify any limit
date...

I asked about why they still stick to a fairly old python version on the
discussion thread Brecht linked (message is pending approval currently),
we'll see if we get an answer.

I would indeed much rather use a version of python that is actively
maintained during the whole year the VFX recommendations apply. And
python has a history track now of being reliable on their release dates,
so I do think VFX could be a bit less conservative on this tool (and go
back to an older version in October/November in the very unlikely case
that python would be unable to release 3.10 on time).

That being said, sticking to 3.9 for 2022 is not as bad as what they did
for 2021, so I would not be too annoyed if that was the case either.

Cheers,
Bastien