[Bf-committers] VFX reference platform 2022 draft

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.org
Tue May 18 10:47:50 CEST 2021

Hello,

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 19:54, Brecht Van Lommel via Bf-committers <
bf-committers at blender.org> wrote:

> There is a draft for the next VFX reference platform up now. Since we had
> some issues with the last one, it would be good to give feedback if
> necessary.

Good call.

> Python was upgraded to 3.9, which will still trail behind 3.10 that will be
> released this year. So the question about diverging or not will remain.

My preference would be to, for non-LTS releases at least, stick to versions
of Python that still receive bugfixes. In the past we've had crashes of
Blender that were due to a bug in Python. The only way to solve that was to
upgrade Python itself. This in itself is rare, but I don't remember having
such issues at all until we stuck to the old py3.7 to adhere to the VFX
Platform.

Is there anything known about the policy of the VFX Platform when it comes
to picking which Python version to stick to? Is it always going to be
"whatever version was released a year earlier"? Or is there still an
acceleration happening after sticking to py2.7 so long, and will they
eventually be targeting the latest versions? If it's the latter I'd be fine
with following the VFX Platform and sticking to py3.9 for a while longer.
If sticking to the platform means that for a significant amount of time
we'll be on versions of Python that don't receive bugfixes any more, I'm
less positive.

Sybren