[Bf-committers] Module teams at the core of Blender

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 19:13:59 CET 2021

Ton,

> Feedback welcome

The wiki Modules/Roles page *currently* describes *three* roles for
contributors, "Owners", "Developers", and "Members."

This new document states that "within a module there are *two* roles; the
"owners" and the "members".  The day of this
document's release I asked you on #blender-coders for clarification: "That
doc says "there are two roles" in modules, Owners
and Members. So that is an explicit change from our current Owners,
Developers, and Members?"

Your answer was "yep. for a short while a module only had one owner. this
is basically back to what it was before."  I answered
that "I like that change, in that there was always fuzzy overlap between
Members and Developers. Only asking because the
doc doesn't announce that change much, with something like "Within a module
there are now only two roles..."

You answered that "owner is empowered to commit and add members. artists
can be member too. very simple!" so this seemed
like clear direction.

I am absolutely not complaining that I waited two weeks, announced that I
would edit the pages to reflect this change, did so, and
was made to revert it. This is volunteer work so I really don't mind if
work is not used. But should this editing not be done by
*someone* though?

I love this project, but a lot of our communication is a bit... awkward. We
expect newcomers to land on our wiki and somehow know
that we work in "Modules", and so to follow a link to "components and their
owners" for an Organizational Chart. Then they get an
odd distinction between overlapping "Members" and "Developers" that is not
really explained well on the Roles page. Now we get
a change to that which is either not clear, or just not followed.

So again, not complaining, just wanting some clarification as I look for
ways to help with this.

Cheers, Harley