[Bf-committers] Clang-Tidy: Request for Feedback

Sergey Sharybin sergey at blender.org
Thu Mar 4 09:52:52 CET 2021

Hi,

During the past months we seem to cover the majority of the warnings from
Clang-Tidy [1]. The remaining onbes either require a newer Clang-Tidy
version, or have a patch, or are a bit controversial than it originally
looked. I would say we have reached the point where we can declare the
Clang-Tidy project as a "maintenance" -- there are always things to get
addressed for new versions or new warnings in the code, but there is no
need to keep it an ongoing project.

One of the open topics is that modification of .clang-tidy file does not
cause full source recompilation. Personally, I do not think this is a huge
problem: the file is not being edited that often, and it is similar to the
.clang-format. And there is an advantage to having the warnings defined in
the file: it is easier to "override" or port them to different areas of
Blender. So to me it seems the corresponding point in the T78535 we can
just ignore.

So here are some questions to the developers:

- Do you have a strong feeling about leaving a .clang-tidy file as it is
now (where file modification requires manual re-compilation) ?
- What do you think we still need to do before we can call the project done?
- Shall we enable it by default? Maybe for `make developer` ?
- Any other relevant feedback?

[1] https://developer.blender.org/T78535

Best regards,
- Sergey -