[Bf-committers] Blender Addons Policy

Lechu Sokolowski lechu.sokolowski at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 15:17:10 CEST 2021

Hello Ton,

>The discussion is going astray; please don't take it personally but look at this as a way to create an equal playfield for everyone.

I'm not taking it personally at all but I really don't understand why I'm not able to get answers to my questions. With all respect to 3dmodelhaven but they have 38 models listed for the last 2 or 3 years and they're constantly referenced to me for reasons I don't understand.

Is it possible to receive any answers to the following questions? You asked me to post them here for the open discussion and the benefit of others.

1. What will be the rules/guidelines/requirements for getting an independent addon included in the official Blender build, starting from version 3.0?

2. If the addons "linking to commercial services" won't be included anymore, does this mean that the listed addons: Archipack, Blendkit, Bsurfaces, Autodesk exporters/importers, will be discontinued?

3. Since Blender is a community-supported and financed project, shouldn't there be clear rules and guidelines on how external, commercially driven companies can be included in that process?

4. If "Add-ons linking to commercial web services or add-ons offering a bridge to closed (non-GPL) software, are not contributing to Blender's core mission" why and under which guidelines are the BlenderKit addon (linking directly to a commercial web service) included in Blender?

Best wishes,

--
Lech Sokolowski
chocofur.com