[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 955, Issue 1 (Bundled Addons vs Addon Repositories)

Ryan Inch mythologylover75 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 08:44:38 CEST 2021

I agree with what you've said here and think it's very well worded.
However, I think I should point out that it is somewhat idealized and
that the reality is slightly different.

 > * Without needing anything explained, users intuitively understand that
 > a bundled addon has been tested for compatibility, reviewed for
 > security, and included for its functionality.

After their initial review, add-ons are left almost entirely to their
own devices, and to my knowledge, there is no regular inspection to
ensure that add-ons remain secure and do not fall prey to security bugs.

 > * Bundling addons bring the best addon developers and core developers
 > closer together. They will communicate together more leading up to a new
 > Blender release, since both desire to the addon to work great out of the
 > box

As mentioned above, add-ons mostly just do their own thing and there is
little communication between the add-on developers and core developers.
As to them both desiring the add-on to work great out of the box, in
reality, this is not necessarily the case.  For example, there was a bug
that affected my add-on that was identified and fixed in master just
before one of the releases, but that fix was not ported to the release
branch and by that time I was unable to work around it, so my add-on was
released broken. https://developer.blender.org/T67577