[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 956, Issue 1

Ryan Inch mythologylover75 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 08:44:07 CEST 2021

Hi, thanks for chiming in, you make some interesting points.

1. I don't think that curation will be the biggest hurdle, rather I
think security, and the development of the repository and it's
integration into Blender, that will require the most work.  All add-ons
are curated already, must be licensed under the GPL, and I don't think
anyone has proposed to allow payed add-ons to be hosted in this new
repository (add-ons that link to commercial services seem like they will
be disallowed soon, but that's a different thread)

2. This could be very useful.

3. This discussion came about because I felt that the bundled add-on
authors, for whatever reason, were being omitted from important places
of credit, namely the credits page and release notes on blender.org.  In
response to my queries Brecht mentioned that they were thinking of
moving the bundled add-ons to a separate online repository and that they
would then be credited there, in some yet to be determined way.  So the
two topics are related, moving the bundled add-ons to an online
repository will further separate them from Blender, regardless of the
benefits this repository may have for non-bundled add-ons.