[Bf-committers] Blender Addons Policy

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Jun 22 16:19:11 CEST 2021

Hi,

The discussion is about which addons get bundled in a release. That
addons can also be sold is well aligned with GPL and not related to this
discussion.

All addons that are useful features for Blender users can be submitted
to the addon module for review to be included in releases. We prefer
addons that are well supported and maintained.

Here are the guidelines for addons:
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Process/Addons

In the past we also included addons that link to external web services
(outside blender.org). The proposal we discuss is to not bundle with
such addons anymore. We also won't bundle with addons linking to
non-free modules or binaries.

Another topic is that we investigate having an online addon manager to
allow fixes/updates to be managed more efficiently. That is for me
outside of the scope of this thread.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal - ton at blender.org - www.blender.org
Chairman Blender Foundation, CEO Blender Institute / Studio
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands