[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 956, Issue 1

Brian Savery brian.savery at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 17:34:53 CEST 2021

Re: add-ons in a repository vs distrubuted with blender.

I think there are pros and cons to this but ultimately I think it's an
overall good idea.

I won't repeat all the points made previously but had a couple more
thoughts.

1. The curation of this hypothetical repo and dealing with commercial
add-ons or verifying quality or license seems the biggest hurdle to get
this done.

2. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned using pypi directly as the
add-on repo. I'm not sure that is the right idea but it does bring an
interesting point that many addons have to load packages from pip. So maybe
as a sidebar if there was a mechanisim to run "pip install Foo" as part of
the addon download that would be a nice other benefit.

3. If the biggest complaint here from addons bundled with blender is that
they don't get marketed "enough" in their view with the release of blender,
that seems like a completely orthogonal issue to how add-ons are delivered.

Brian

brian.savery at gmail.com
508-274-8700