[Bf-committers] Release planning update - Blender 3.0 later

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Jun 14 14:27:51 CEST 2021

Hi everyone,

In discussions on the coming 3.0 release, I witnessed a need to have a
couple of (IRL) workshops with core contributors in order to solve
pressing design issues. We have to wrap up 2.8 UI work, review how it
went, and fix some things that went bad.

My goal would be to work on a clear guideline doc for how Blender 3.0 is
meant to work, as a lead for all ongoing projects to align with. That
will also empower the module teams to schedule their work. It would  be
preferred if we keep the 3.0 versions work backwards compatible for two
years (Py API included, with as exception the new GPU module).

I also think we should avoid to include big new ambitious goals to 3.0,
aside of projects we planned to tackle already (node systems,
animation/rigging, physics/particles/hair real-time editing).

With the pandemic coming to an end, I think that we should be able to
travel and meet again late July or August. Workshops can happen then or
in September.

This puts the 3.0 planning under a lot of pressure... I also think we
have to allow the developers to schedule a summer holiday, to relieve
Corona stress and to give everyone time to come back together again -
after having been separated in lockdown so long.

For these reasons I propose to shift the 3.0 release planning with two
months, to late October. The asset project would love the extra time,
and CyclesX then can also be in the release.

I've discussed this with the admins and several of the core developers.
I think there's a wide support for this decision, but please speak out
here if there are pressing other viewpoints to revise the planning.

Thanks,

-Ton-