[Bf-committers] Simple steps to get an harmonious collaboration

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 04:38:36 CEST 2021

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 6:20 PM Sergey Sharybin via Bf-committers
<bf-committers at blender.org> wrote:

> Campbell, those are valid points, but here is what I propose:
>
> (a) Focus on making already-agreed-on topics public, go into more
> specific cases later.

Sergey, sounds good.
Since these rules are on our official wiki I'm raising a concern that
it's not always practical to follow them.

These kinds of proposals are quite open to interpretation (more than
you might think at first glance).
It makes doing code review *even less* of an attractive prospect when
it's not obvious when an action can be both a reasonable common-sense
response as well as a rule violation.
There are situations I run into (since this proposal even) where I'm
not sure if/how these policies should apply.

I'd suggest that we aim to follow what's proposed (when practical),
module owners/members developing an area should use their best
judgement.
If adding multiple iterations on the review process to meet some rigid
policy seems a poor use of every-ones time -
we should be able to avoid getting caught up in unnecessarily strict
adherence to rules.

> (b) Until the future of the Phabricator is known, do not spend too much
> time in finding Phabricator-specific solutions for the cases we want to
> cover.

+1

--
- Campbell