[Bf-committers] Windows IME Text Entry Changes

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 22:00:08 CEST 2021

Hello,

We have some long-standing issues on the Windows platform with entering
text in languages that require special handling, like Chinese, Japanese,
and Korean.  It has been difficult to get these things fixed because of our
lack of development horsepower in those languages on the the Windows
platform.

But I currently have a bit of a posse going with some volunteer devs and
testers that might make such fixes possible.  I'm *hoping* that I can
approve these changes a bit more directly.  Specifically I am hoping to
commit some changes (Windows IME files only) after just getting approval
for code correctness from Ray (LazyDodo).  This is mostly about D11929 but
there would also be some code cleanup too (renaming and code removal).
Afterward I might also want to work with Ray to remove our usage of
(deprecated) Language IDs and use GetLocaleInfoEx instead.

This work should get us closer to supporting more languages that use IME
for text entry. For example I have been testing Bengali and it seems to
work, although needing some glyphs added to our font.

Regards, Harley
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Harleya