[Bf-committers] Blender 2.93 Targets

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 03:15:03 CET 2021

Hello,

I’m writing to this mailing list because I am in the middle of some work
that I am really hoping to complete for release in 2.93. However, this is a
bit complicated by the UI Module now being “headless”, Brecht’s move to
Rendering, and that some of my changes are Windows-specific.

This starts with D8084 <https://developer.blender.org/D8084> - “UI: Join or
Close Any Area” – which allows joining of almost any areas, adds the
ability to “Close” any editor, and generally makes area maintenance
functions a bit easier and more discoverable.

Because the above makes some window management functions easier to find, I
had started on some refactoring of window-creation routines, mostly to
address some long-standing problems on Windows. That is mostly done and
things are running fine on Windows now, with just a few stragglers:

An omission in my Win32 changes results in owned windows (like Window / New
Window) not being able to go “full screen”. That is fixed in D10470
<https://developer.blender.org/D10470>.

One long-standing problem, positioning of child windows on Multiple
windows, has been improved but could be better. D10469
<https://developer.blender.org/D10469> makes it perfect.

A long-standing, but fairly obscure, problem where some windows could draw
text at the wrong size because of other windows with varying DPI is fixed
in D10483 <https://developer.blender.org/D10483>.

Less important, and a bit more optional, is the last of the window-creation
refactoring, in D10419 <https://developer.blender.org/D10419>. This mostly
just simplifies code but also makes it so that Window / New Window gives a
less complex layout.

It isn't a big problem if only some, or even none, of these are not
approved in time for 2.93, but I just don't want to scramble at the last
moment.

Regards, Harley