[Bf-committers] No Monday or Tuesday meetings for the time being

Dalai Felinto dalai at blender.org
Mon Feb 15 12:40:56 CET 2021

Hi Nathan,

First let me say that this was poorly communicated on my end. I will try
to clarify now.

The meetings were not effective as they used to be a few years ago. One
of the main purposes of the meetings was to review and agree on
development and design proposals. This was a good moment to engage in
real-time with everyone involved in Blender development, especially
across time-zones. The last meetings have seen very low attendance and
interaction, making the presence of most attendees felt like a formality.

I see this as a reflection of much Blender has grown recently. Dealing
with the growth of the Blender project while keeping it welcoming and
accessible is an important challenge, and active efforts are being
carried out in that regard.

While for time being the general meeting is put on hold, all the other
activities carry on as usual. The chat channels, this mailing list, they
are all open, public and more active than ever. All the contributors are
encouraged to share their roadmaps. The modules are always open to new
contributors.

What we expect next is two things: First, module teams are to organize
themselves more independently. They can decide on how often and how to
carry their public meetings. This is happening weekly already for the
animation and other modules. I would like this to be implemented for
other modules as well.

Another thing is, at some moment (I don't know when yet) I would like we
to have a regular meeting with all the modules where we can schedule
release targets, assign bigger projects and find out topics related to
planning Blender as a general. For this, monthly is probably enough. But
feedback in the format and frequency is welcome.

Besides, this week Ton will share a post about modules and roles that
will help draw a picture of how all the modules related with the
development of Blender.

And as always, informal communication keeps happening on
#blender-coders. I hope this helps clarifying the situation,

-Dalai-
Dalai Felinto - dalai at blender.org - www.blender.org
Blender Development Coordinator
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands