[Bf-committers] Patches for 2.93 LTS

Jeroen Bakker jeroen at blender.org
Wed Aug 25 15:28:53 CEST 2021

Hello everyone,

Blender 2.93 has been out for almost 3 months (2nd jun 2021), has received
4 releases so far and one is in the making.
The first number of releases we allow smaller fixes that would normally
also be added to corrective releases. Normally this period would end when
the next version of blender is in BCON 4 as then our user base also
switches to the upcoming blender version.

The consequence that we currently are seeing is that we were almost
releasing a blender release every week (2.83/2.93) and that takes away time
from the people who are managing, executing or communicating about the
releases.

To mitigate the time spent on releasing we want to be more strict on the
patches that will be included in 2.93 from now on and not wait for BCON4 to
happen.

As a reminder fixes should be high-prios or critical issues (these include
platform support issues). These issues can directly be added to the
maintenance task for 2.93 (https://developer.blender.org/T88449). If you're
not certain if a fix falls inside the criteria, please contact me in
blender.chat and we see how to handle it. We will handle it with the same
flexibility as we did for 2.83.

With these changes we target to release 2/3 LTS versions per month. One
2.83 release and one or two 2.93 releases depending on the amount of fixes
available.

Jeroen.