[Bf-committers] Tagging of meeting notes

Metin Seven metinseven at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:23:56 CEST 2021

Hi,

Devtalk user Ray Mairlot wrote a PM to me, and I've asked him for
permission to share it with you.

He's got good points about the (current lack of) inclusion of a tag that
would unify the different meeting notes:

───────

I like to read the meeting notes of the various different meetings, but
I've been having trouble keeping up with them. I use the 'Watching First
Post' feature to make sure I am notified of new posts in a certain
category, but due to the different categories people are posting in, and
the different combinations of tags they are using, I am finding it a little
difficult to find (and be notified of) all the meetings.

I am not quite sure how the tags/categories work (as some tags seem to be
specific to certain categories), but I have done my best to lay out a table
below showing the different types of meeting posts and the tags/categories
that are being used to categorise them.

Meeting   |   Tags   |   Elucidation

Main Meeting Notes: https://devtalk.blender.org/t/26-april-2021/18478
Tags: Blender Development, Meeting Notes

Geometry Nodes:
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/2021-04-26-geometry-nodes-sub-module-meeting/18589
Tags: Blender Development, Geometry Nodes
─ No kind of meeting tag

User Interface:
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/meeting-notes-21-april-2021/18533
Tags: User Interface, Meeting Notes
─ A different 'Meeting Notes' tag

Animation and Rigging:
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/2021-04-29-animation-rigging-module-meeting-upcoming/18489
Tags: Animation & Rigging, meeting

Rendering:
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/2021-04-27-blender-rendering-meeting/18609
Tags: Blender Development, Meetings Archive

The meetings I linked to are just examples - i.e. there are many posts that
are using these tags, not just the ones I linked to.

The Meeting Notes category seems to only contain the main weekly blender
meetings. But it doesn't have the 'meeting' tag and isn't included in the
'Meetings Archive'. Ok, so 'Meetings Archive' seems to be just for small
meetings. Is the intention to make it easy to find the main Blender meeting
notes and have everything else in a more general category? Shouldn't the
'User Interface' meeting notes also appear in 'Meetings Archive' or are all
different categories meant to use their own 'Meeting Notes' tag, like
'Animation and Rigging > Meeting Notes', 'Rendering' > 'Meeting Notes'
etc.? I'm just finding it a little hard to find the pattern of how they're
all organised.

>From your post ─
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/about-the-meeting-notes-category/17928/2 ─
was the intention of the 'meeting' tag to rectify all this and it's just a
case of people forgetting/not knowing to use the more general 'meeting' tag
as well?
[Metin: Yes, I posted that to stimulate consistent use of the 'meeting' tag]

I only realised today that I have been missing the 'Animation & Rigging'
notes because they are only using the 'meetings' tag, and missed the 'User
Interface' notes because they use their own 'Meeting Notes' tag.

Currently I have to subscribe to the 'User Interface' > Meeting Notes',
'Blender Development > 'Meeting Notes' and the 'Meetings Archive'
categories, as well as the 'meetings' tag in order to see all the meetings.

I know this is a fairly minor problem, but I'm hoping you might be able to
clarify if I'm just thinking about this wrong, whether some posts are
missing tags or miscategorised, and whether any of this could be improved.

───────

Regards,

─ Metin

design ● visuals ● content ─ metinseven.nl