[Bf-committers] It's time to get rid of cloth

Daniel Seita takeshidanny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 15:24:27 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I haven't emailed on this email list before, but I'm happy to see
discussion about the cloth simulator in Blender. It is the main reason why
I started using Blender, and I know a fair amount of folks in my community
(AI and robotics researchers) who would love to explore cloth capabilities.

I have used (Py)Bullet recently, and have collaborated with the folks
working on cloth simulation as part of my Google internship. While they are
working on it (see https://github.com/bulletphysics/bullet3/pull/2872) from
my experience, for more physically realistic cloth, I honestly go with
Blender. The main reason why I have used (Py)Bullet has less to do with the
simulator quality and more to do with issues I ran into with vertex pinning
/ unpinning in Blender. For reference, I am the person who wrote this:
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/pinning-and-moving-vertices-of-cloth-at-arbitrary-frame-sequences-with-updated-physics/13542

Daniel