[Bf-committers] It's time to get rid of cloth

darkdefende at gmail.com darkdefende at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 14:20:46 CEST 2020

To fix the cloth tunneling though the cube, activate "Single sided" in
the cube's collision settings and it should work much better.

Anyways, during my recent work with Bullet, I tested some things that
are currently not integrated into blender.

Mainly Bullet softbodies and cloth.

Both have their use cases, but as Brecht pointed out, the Bullet cloth
physics is way more unstable and doesn't have no where near as many
features as our current cloth sim. So outright replacing our current
system with that would just be a downgrade on so many levels (except
speed).

I would say that all of our physics simulations currently needs a lot of
work to be faster, more stable, and nicer to use. The majority of them
feels half baked at the moment I my opinion. (And it shows as it seems a
lot of people does not use them in production because they are simply not
good enough yet)

My current plan was to first make Bullet integration in Blender better.
As I deem this to be the easier task. However I have a lot of other work
I need to do, so progress is slow.
This is also because I want the Bullet refactor to align nicely with our
new node system. (So we don't have to do an other refactor for that)

As Sergej pointed out, Mano Wii and I has been in talks on making the
collision system better for cloth and also make it have move options so
they user can make trade-offs if they want to.

If you have any specific fixes or changes in mind. We would love to hear
them.

Welcome back.