[Bf-committers] Proposing a unique ID for Blender objects system, for use with game engines.

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Mon Nov 23 12:25:01 CET 2020

Just a bit of echo,

AFAIK UUIDs are a good solution to deal with integrating Blender and many
kinds of other systems with which we want good integration, via exports or
even two-way export-import cycles.

Back about 10 years ago, we made a pretty cool integration from Blender to
a Ogre3D based virtual worlds system, realxtend.org, in rex2blender Blender
add-on which was developed by Caedes (Pablo Martin, Crystal Space and
Blender add-on dev at the time).

It also used UUIDs to know which objects from Blender, maybe continuously
reimported to the game engine side, were the same objects as in a previous
export. Worked well, I don't recall any problems, though the design is
certainly not trivial when you think of how to deal with the issues
mentioned here, duplicates, copies of the same project file etc. But having
real UUIDs there always helps, whatever you decide to do, and it never does
any harm (except mem use if you go really low level, but we only considered
it on object level).

In my understanding, they really should be globally unique, not within a
blend. That's the first U in UUID: *Universally* unique.

We work with BIMs a lot now, and they also have UUIDs in the format spec,
but I recently learned that many BIM creation tool vendors have been
stupid, and just put whatever IDs there, sometimes even overlapping IDs
within the same project, and with zero quarantees of those IDs being unique
cross projects, or different creation tools. So it's just sad and useless,
all the folks who write import tools need to create new sensible IDs.
Learned that on twitter here:
https://twitter.com/xeolabs/status/1320671615441686529

So please, real UUIDs, afaik the math for it works well.

2cently yours,
-Toni