[Bf-committers] Proposing a unique ID for Blender objects system, for use with game engines.

Lissanro Rayen Lissanro at Dragon.Studio
Fri Nov 20 18:49:56 CET 2020

On 16/11/20 7:00 pm, Brecht Van Lommel via Bf-committers wrote:
> To me a UUID makes sense when you want to make a connection between two
> completely different databases. Like Blender and a game engine, or an asset
> manager that manages data from multiple applications. Any time you have to
> do that kind of syncing and no longer have a single source of truth, it's
> not an ideal situation in the first place, but UUIDs do help.

I recently encountered a need for UUID when writing an addon. In my case
I did not need to manage data between different applications, but I
needed a way to keep track of objects/materials/nodes between sessions
(even if they were renamed), so pointers were not an option. Besides,
pointers can become invalid after undo/redo, even though the object
itself still exists and was not changed. Names may not be unique either
- for example, top-level compositor node and a node within a group may
have exactly the same name. Even if it was not so, the user can change
names at any moment.

I was not able to find any other solution, and I ended up implementing
UIDs for objects, materials and nodes. For my purposes, 32-bit UIDs
(integer hashes) were sufficient, with a check to guarantee uniqueness
within single .blend. I also implemented functions to get a pointer to
object/material/node by its UID, and each object has .uid_get()
function. UID is generated for the first time when this function is
called (there is a check to make sure that new UID does not collide with
already existing ones).

128-bit UUIDs could be implemented in similar way. It would be much more
efficient and cleaner if UUIDs were natively supported.

> It can be misused as well. For example I've heard requests for this so
> add-ons can store relations to Blender datablocks at runtime, or saved in
> .blend files. To me that would be a mistake, as references to datablock
> should be done explicitly with pointers that are managed by Blender, that
> can be properly referenced counted, cleared, replaced, etc. Also for
> library linking datablocks between .blend files this is tempting, but again
> it also comes with it own set of issues.

In practice objects/materials are often referenced by their names, at
least this was very common when I was looking for examples how to save a
list of objects/materials/nodes, or how to keep track of an object
chosen by the user between sessions. I agree that pointers should be
used when possible, but I could not find a way to reliably get them
without unique identifiers.

In my addon I have a list of pointers. Occasionally (for example,
because of undo/redo) some or even all of them become invalid, then at
the moment I hit invalid pointer, I can get new pointer by UID, and then
the rest of the code works as expected even if name of
object/material/node was changed.

> If this were to be implemented, it does raise some questions:
> * Would we want to do this for every datablock? Presumably not because the
> memory overhead and cost of generating a UUID, so I guess it would be
> something that is generated on demand.
In my specific case I implemented UIDs only for objects, materials and
compositor nodes, but in general case, there could a use for unique
identifier for any datablock. Indeed, generating UUID on demand is the
best and most efficient way.
> * Are UUIDs supposed to be unique within one .blend file, or globally
> unique across all .blend files? What happens when you copy or rename a
> .blend file, do the UUIDs change?

It would be impossible task to make them truly unique across all .blend
files, there are always a possibility of collision. But according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem, for 128-bit hash
probability of collision is relatively low.

If UUID supposed to uniquely identify a datablock, I think it should not
change if .blend file is renamed, since renaming the file does not
regenerate the datablock, it stays exactly the same. However, if there
are two copies of the same .blend file (they may even have the same name
and even the same full path on two different PCs) and each was edited
independently, and then objects from both .blend files are appended to a
single .blend file, there may be a lot of UUID collisions. This could be
solved in a simple way - if imported datablock already has UUID, make
sure it is unique when appending to current .blend. If it is not unique
then drop UUID (new one will be generated on demand). The same is true
for duplicated objects (or other datablocks). This way datablocks which
already existed in .blend file will keep their UUIDs for their lifetime
(or since the moment UUID was first generated, if this was done on demand).

> * Do overrides copy the UUID or generate a new one? I'm guessing it should
> generate a new one.

Yes, I also think that it would be appropriate to generate new one in
this case.

> * What about datablocks that are the result of geometry nodes evaluation?
> How does this UUID remain stable if geometry nodes can output an arbitrary
> number of objects, that might even vary over time?

In this case UUIDs may not be "stable" - I think if an object was
generated again (and this was not because of redo), then it is a
different object, so it may not have UUID initially at all - new UUID
can be generated on demand. Then UUID may end up having lifetime of a
pointer. I did not try geometry nodes myself, but I guess at least
parent geometry node itself could have stable UUID.

UUIDs have limitations. The way I see them - they are sort of like
unique name which cannot be changed by the user (only automatically
generated and once generated, will not change unless there is a collision).

> * How does this relate to the asset manager design? There was some
> discussion of having UUIDs for that though no conclusion. If it is needed
> there, would that UUID be the same?

Few weeks ago when I was googling for existing solutions, I noticed that
idea of UUID is not new and was mentioned in context of asset manager
but as far as I understand it was not actually implemented. I'm
unfamiliar with asset manager design, but I think it is better to keep
UUIDs as unique as possible. The simplest way to do that is to generate
them randomly. For example, in my implementation I generate unique
random hashes to minimize chance of collisions (so even if two nodes
have the same name and .get_uid() was called for the first time for both
of them almost in the same moment, they will end up with different
unique hashes as UID).