[Bf-committers] Asset Browser, Milestone 1 Status

Julian Eisel julian at blender.org
Fri Nov 20 19:07:22 CET 2020

Hi all,

Time for an update on the Asset Browser!

There was lots of design work on various aspects. But now my entire focus is on
implementation sprints for milestone 1:
  A basic, local Asset Browser for Blender data-blocks.
With this milestone, the user is the asset manager and can use the Asset Browser
as an interactive viewer into self-managed asset collections.

I had an initial working version of this milestone a while ago already:
  https://youtu.be/TDH7V1pjRWc

There are no plans to add a full asset manager to the core of Blender. Asset
management is too pipeline/platform dependent. Studios and asset markets can
keep using their own systems, but integrate them well into the Blender UI and
have a much better base to start with. Planned features like a native “Blender
Project” concept, collection variations or non-data-block assets should make
their lives easier.
  See https://developer.blender.org/T73366

The first milestone is now a target for 2.92. Since there is lots of work left,
it may not become feature-complete until 2.93 though.
The coming weeks, I will go through the task backlog, work with stakeholder
artists and start involving some more user feedback.

Longer-term project management & development:
  https://developer.blender.org/project/profile/123/
Milestone 1 design overview with a workboard on which I organize daily work
(click "Workboard" on the left):
  https://developer.blender.org/project/view/124/

Some exciting weeks ahead!

Cheers!