[Bf-committers] It's time to get rid of cloth

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Tue Nov 3 02:18:53 CET 2020

Well,

my last contribution was ' old man grumbling'

to be more constructive I'd like point to the issues to be focused on:

We do have stiff PDEs ODEs to solve. We know very well, that common
forward solvers perform very poor under 'stiff' conditions. David Baraff
proposed using 'implicit backward solvers' some days (~ 10 * 356) ago.
Even 'numerical recipes' knows stiff differential equations.

How deal with it?

1. Implement solvers that can do .. expensive but possible in open source.

2. Think about volume energy constraints ( see 3. )

3. Think over the model .. a mesh is a mesh .. blender as grown from
past knows 2D objects in 3D .. a skin of faces. Works very fine if is
forward driven. But there is no reliable concept if we want to have
vertex to vertex interaction deep inside. (Think of the cube having
springs  from (1,1,1) to (-1,-1-1))   The fist thing on the task list
IMHO should be to add 'edges' that is vertex to vertex connections that
do not modify the surface but represent physical interaction.