[Bf-committers] Bug reports: requiring "Worked in" field

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.org
Thu Mar 12 14:02:17 CET 2020

On 12-03-2020 12:16, Howard Trickey wrote:
> How far back in versions do you expect people to check?

I'd expect 2.79 to be old enough. There are still issues that originate
from the 2.8 transition, and knowing whether something worked or not in
2.79 can help pin it down.

> I imagine sometimes, even often, the answer is "never". E.g., some new
> code has been added and a user has run into a case where that new code
> crashes.
Sure, for issues with new features it doesn't make sense to go back to a
version that didn't even have that feature yet.
> Maybe an exception should be made for crashes?

For a crash in a feature that's been around for a while, I think it
still helps to know when that crash was introduced. Of course when that
crash is caused by a driver bug it wouldn't matter much, as older
versions of Blender will still use the same buggy driver.

What I'm aiming for most of all, is that it becomes a normal part of the
bug reporting culture. Just as attaching an example blend file is
becoming more standard, so should IMO be testing with older versions.

--
dr. Sybren A. Stüvel

Blender Software Developer

https://blender.org/