[Bf-committers] Bug reports: requiring "Worked in" field

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.org
Thu Mar 12 11:43:10 CET 2020

Hello list,

When investigating a bug report, it can be very helpful to know when an
issue was introduced. I had a little discussion with Dalai on
#blender-coders, and we decided to make a change in the bug reporting
template [1]. The "Worked" field, where people fill out what version of
Blender still worked properly for them, is now no longer optional.

[1] https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/

Of course we take a human approach to this, and there will be valid
reasons why this version cannot be determined or is otherwise
irrelevant. For the majority of bugs, however, it can be very helpful if
the reporter checks with older versions of Blender.

I want to suggest the following before accepting/confirming a report:

  * We should ask the reporter to test with older versions of Blender
    (if not done already), and
  * The example blend file should be openable with that version.

The latter point is to prevent cases like "this worked in 2.79, here is
a 2.83 file to reproduce the issue".

I'm confident that the ability to quickly see the correct behaviour and
the problematic behaviour will help in the speed at which we can resolve
issues.

Cheers,

Sybren

--