[Bf-committers] Blender developer meeting notes - 2020.6.22

Dalai Felinto dalai at blender.org
Mon Jun 22 18:52:51 CEST 2020

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's developer meeting. Next meeting is Monday,
29 June 11:00 CEST / 9:00 UTC, in #blender-coders on blender.chat.

For the complete report read it on:
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/22-june-2020/13874

Announcements
=============
* Blender source code was upgraded to C++17, its features can now be used
throughout the code. The minimum required compiler versions increased [1].
* Grants/contracts ending:
  * William Reynish starts a new job in August, so he won't have much time
moving forward to oversee the UI module.
  * Nathan Letwory will continue his work (release management, onboarding,
...) for July and August. But the position will be restructured afterwards.

Modules Organization
=================
* All the modules are now "re-organized" with their landing page
concentrating all the contact information, as well as the workboard and the
activity feed.
* Per-module roadmaps updated [2].
* New module owners [3]:
  * Sculpt, Paint & Texture → Pablo Dobarro.
  * User Interface](https://developer.blender.org/tag/user_interface/ →
Julian Eisel.
* Clément Foucault archived "GPU/Viewport" and "EEVEE" as project tags and
all triagers should use the "EEVEE & Viewport" tag for anything visual
related.

2.83
===
* The 2.83.1 release is planned for this week coordinated by Jeroen Bakker.
* 2.83.2 can happen the following week (if there are critical fixes to be
ported).

2.90
===
* The bcon2 starts this week on June 24.
* Sybren Stüvel posted the upcoming changes for Alembic aimed at 2.90.
Feedback is welcome [4].
* There are at the moment 822 hundred issues that concern the developers
(among bugs and untriaged reports).
* It may be good to do another "Bug Fix Sprint". Dalai Felinto suggests (if
we do it), to do it between bcon2 and bcon3 (instead of bcon3 and bcon4
like last time).

Google Summer of Code
===================
* First evaluation period June 29 - July 3.
* The final one-line project introductions:

 Matt Overby (mattoverby): I am implementing a volumetric soft body solver
in Blender for hyperelastic materials and self collision.

Sam Kottler (samkottler): I am continuing the Many Light Sampling project
from 2018 which implements a paper that will allow faster/less noisy
renders for scenes with many lights.

Sriharsha Kotcharlakot (Sriharsha): I am working on adding viewport display
options to visualise liquid simulation grids and improving existing fluid
display options in Workbench.

[1] - https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender#Compiler_Versions
[2] - https://code.blender.org/2020/06/modules-roadmap-june-2020/
[3] - https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Modules/Roles#Modules