[Bf-committers] Aligning with the vfx reference platform in 2020

Ray Molenkamp ray at lazydodo.com
Sun Jan 12 04:33:13 CET 2020

tbbmalloc proxy was failing on win10 on earlier versions of TBB, I forgot the exact
version that fixed the issue [1] seems to imply it was 2019_U1, I bumped it to
2019_U9 just because it was current at the time, U6 will probably work, however
I'm currently more interested in bumping the deps we have, rather than rolling back the
one that is slightly ahead, given at-least one of them fixes some CVE's (openEXR).

However as a platform dev I'm mostly following in the libs department, if someone
tells me we need lib X version Y, I'll will go out of my way to make it happen
however these are not my libs, and I cannot be responsible for keeping an eye on the
version that get released or the integration into blender whenever there is a
code incompatible update.

Issue is nobody seems to be taking responsibility for the libs, hence they lag or
only get updated cause the new version solves build issues I have. Ideally we'd
assign each and  every one of the 30+ libs we have to a module, and the module
owners request updates to them. They don't have to worry about specific build-flags
for mac/linux/windows platform devs are quicker and better at it however if your
module depends on a external dependency keep an eye on it!

Can dalai organize anything in this department? doesn't have to be my idea
but we have to do a better/more structured job at managing these deps.

--Ray