[Bf-committers] 8GB of RAM insufficient for bulding Blender

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 28 10:16:02 CET 2020

There's also another solution, using ninja builder instead of make one
(ninja should be easy to install from your distro's packages).

Once installed, you need to generate a CMake build, specifying ninja as
builder (instead of the default, make option), and enabling
WITH_NINJA_POOL_JOBS:

cd my/new/builddir
cmake -G Ninja -D WITH_NINJA_POOL_JOBS=ON path/to/blender/source

You can then try to build and see if that works. If not, you can try to
tweak the NINJA_MAX_NUM_PARALLEL_ options (e.g. set _LINK_JOBS and
_COMPILE_HEAVY_JOBS to 1).

Those options try to be smart be enabling optimal parallelization for
regular compile tasks, while enforcing heavy ones (and linking, which
also eats a lot of RAM) to only run one at a time.

As a side note, it would indeed be interesting to know which module
actually fails to build with 8GB.

Cheers,
Bastien