[Bf-committers] Aligning with the vfx reference platform in 2020

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:15:02 CET 2020

There are two parts to this. I think upgrading to the 2021 reference
platform as proposed in the task is an easy decision. There are no real
downsides that I know of. We might as well keep up with recent versions of
libraries like OpenVDB, OpenColorIO and OpenEXR, the new versions provide
real improvements for users. Upgrading to a newer Python bugfix release
should also be non-controversial. I think we can simply go ahead with that
unless there is an objection.
https://developer.blender.org/T83246

The other question is, do we upgrade Python to a newer version than the
reference platform? We haven't gotten much feedback, so I guess the Blender
administrators will simply have to make a decision together.