[Bf-committers] GPencil I/O Project: Request to integrate libharu lib to export PDF format

Antonio Vazquez blendergit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:45:51 CET 2020

There are several reasons why I decided to use libharu.

* The PDF format is very stable and does not change substantially, so we
are not at great risk due to format changes.
* I already know that this library is not maintained, but since the PDF
format does not change, it does not require much maintenance.
* This library is widely used in other software to generate PDF, so it is
well proven.

Regarding the bugs you comment, I have seen that several have a patch to
solve them, but in any case, the use I make of the library does not include
using images, only a very simple use. I do not expect, in the short or
medium term, to use anything related to appending images, so these bugs do
not affect us at all. Attaching images to a PDF does not make much sense in
our case.

Including a converter from SVG could work, but the problem is that in PDF
we can generate a document with several pages and in SVG I have not seen
that this is supported. Imagine that we want to generate a storyboard with
100 frames ... we would need to export 100 SVG and join them later ... now
that is very simple. We would also have to assess the speed of the
conversion, since now it is all C / C ++ and it is very fast.

The other option I have been considering is to fork libharu and create a
tiny version with the functions we need and remove any appended image
support.

Antonio