[Bf-committers] BF coordination meeting notes - 2019.09.23

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 13:07:17 CEST 2019

Hi all,

Here are the notes from our private weekly meeting about the Blender
coordination work. If anyone has any point that would like us to discuss,
please let me know via email or #blender chat.

Participants: Brecht Van Lommel, Dalai Felinto, Nathan Letwory
September 23th, 2019

Discussed Topics
=============
* Release Cycle Feedback
* Phabricator
* Bug Triaging Playbook
* Devtalk

Release Cycle Feedback
===================
There are a few concerns about the release cycle:
* Developers may mess up merge, need to be centralized.
* Communication to users is confusing because when something is merged, it
won't be part of the upcoming release.
We still need to find a non-disruptive release cycle (as the current
proposed). But there is room for improvements. An alternative is to try the
current system for a 2 releases and re-iterate after that.

Phabricator
=========
The rollback of phabricators changes took way longer than expected.
Activate Brecht's merged changes:
* Users are not allowed to create tasks, projects and re-open projects.
* When applying patches with arcanist use username.
The part about project hierarchy is not in this patch, but will be merged
this week.

Bug Triaging Playbook
==================
* Needs a prominent place in the wiki (not linked from anywhere).
* There is a wiki page explaining the difference between the task
priorities, we need to link it from the playbook.

Devtalk
======
Keep more active eyes on the discussion there and tag developers when we
need to address the questions there.

Follow ups
========
* Start discussion with Ton and Sergey about a final release cycle
discussion [Nathan]
* Check with Sergey the status of Brecht's patch [Nathan]
* E-mail to bf-committers about phabricator changes [Brecht]
* Bug playbook triaging changes [Dalai, Nathan]

Thank you,
Dalai