[Bf-committers] Blender developer meeting notes - 2019.09.02
Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory
nathan at blender.org
Mon Sep 9 11:44:25 CEST 2019
Notes for developer meeting 9 September 2019. Let me know
if anything is missing.
* Buildbot now supports building arbitrary branches. Developers
can use this to test their branch builds and passes tests on all
platforms, and to make the branch available to users for testing.
docs  (Brecht Van Lommel)
NEW FEATURES AND CHANGES
Soft shadows were redesigned and are now enabled with the
"Use Soft Shadow" option in the render properties Shadow
panel. This will progressively smooth shadows, in combination
with a more conventional shadow filtering method (PCF). Exponential
and Variance Shadow Mapping methods were removed.
details  (Clément Foucault)
This improves shadow accuracy, makes light and shadow setup
simpler, and improves performance for soft shadows.
Bump mapping was changed to give more accurate results closer to
Cycles. In particular it makes bump mapping with procedural textures
work much better than before, at the cost of some performance.
Reduced shadow terminator artifacts for bump mapping with diffuse
BSDFs. (Lukas Stockner, Stefan Werner)
New shader nodes for Cycles & Eevee. (Omar Ahmad)
* Noise Texture node: support 1D, 2D, and 4D noise.
* Mapping node: location, rotation and scale are now node inputs that
can be linked to other nodes.
Viewport shading changes to support look development with
Cycles. (Jeroen Bakker)
* Rendered mode now has option to use HDRI studio lights instead of
scene lights and world, for both Cycles and Eevee. This mode can
now be used for look development.
* LookDev mode was renamed to Material Preview. This mode will be
aimed at interactive texturing and fast preview with Eevee.
* HDRI studio light strength can now be controlled in the shading popover.
* File Browser
The file Browser was redesigned. details  (Julian Eisel, Brian
William Reynish, Harley Acheson, Andrzej Ambroz)
* File Browser as floating window with more standard layout
* Popovers for view and filter options
* Importer/exporter options in panels in the sidebar
* Vertical list view with interactive column header
* New and updated icons
* More consistent and powerful mouse and keyboard shortcuts, including
range select with shift click and extend select with ctrl click.
* Armatures: bone inherit scale options. details  (Alexander Gavrilov)
* Full: inherit all effects of scale, like with enabled Inherit Scale.
* Fix Shear: removes shear from the final inherited transformation.
* Average: inherit uniform scale that represents the parent volume.
* None: completely remove scale and shear.
* None (Legacy): previous behavior for backwards compatibility.
* Constraints: better mixing modes for Copy Rotation and
Copy Transform (Alexander Gavrilov)
* Replace: Replace the original transformation with copied
* Add: Add euler component values together
* Before Original: Apply copied transformation before original, as if the
constraint target is a parent
* After Original: Apply copied transformation after original, as if the
constraint target is a child
* Drivers: support decomposing rotation into swing followed by twist.
details  (_Alexander Gavrilov_)
* Python API: constraints can now be reordered with `move()` on objects
and bones. (Alexander Gavrilov)
* Image objects option to only show in side views (Campbell Barton)
* Grease Pencil (Antonio Vazquez, Charlie Jolly)
* Convert to strokes support for poly curves
* Viewport option to fade unselected objects.
* Improved guides display, with new Isometric option
* User Interface
* Dimension is now available in the object properties. (William Reynish)
* Select tool was renamed to Tweak tool. (William Reynish)
* Paint mode shortcuts: D for draw brush, B for blur brush.
* Viewport navigation buttons are now positioned vertically.
* Batch rename now supports regular expression groups. (Jun Mizutani,
## Projects Under Development
* (2.81) GPencil patches up for review still D5688 , D5707  (Antonioya,
Brecht Van Lommel)
* (2.81) potential UV patches (Sebastian Parborg, Phil Gosh,
Brecht Van Lommel)
* (2.81) potential DNA defaults patch - D4500  (Campbell Barton,
Brecht Van Lommel)
* Clean-up of add-ons repository: T63750  (Brendon Murphy)
* X3D IO moved to community support, no longer maintained by
* in short: no maintainer = no entry.
* Speak up if there is an issue for you with this, see previous
* T60094  fix and review (_Brecht Van Lommel, Sergey Sharybin_)
Next meeting Next online meeting is on Monday, 16 September
18:00 CEST / 16:00 UTC. It will be on #blender-coders on blender.chat 
WEEKLY PROGRESS REPORTS
* Bastien https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Mont29/Foundation/2019#Week_312_-_08.2F31_to_09.2F06
* Brecht https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Brecht/Reports/2019#September_2_-_6
* Campbell https://download.blender.org/ftp/ideasman42/donelist/2019.html#week-342-september-2
* Clément https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Hypersomniac/Foundation/2019
* Dalai https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Dfelinto/Reports/2019#September_2_-_6
* Germano https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Manowii/Reports/2019#Week_10:_2nd_-_6th_September
* Jacques https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:JacquesLucke/Reports/2019#Week_49:_September_02_-_06
* Jeroen https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Jbakker/reports/2019#Week_201936:_2019.2F09.2F02_-_2019.2F09.2F08
* Julian https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Severin/Reports/Institute_2019#September_1_-_September_8
* Nathan https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:JesterKing/Reports/2019#September_2_-_September_6_.2F_.2310
* Philipp https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:PhilippOeser/Foundation/2019#Calendar_Week_36_.28Sep_2nd_-_Sep_6th.29
* Sebastian https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Zeddb#Sep_02_-_Aug_06
* Sergey https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Sergey/Foundation/2019#Week_401:_2nd_-_8th_September
* Sybren https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Sybren/Reports/2019
 https://developer.blender.org/ D5707
More information about the Bf-committers