[Bf-committers] Moving to Python-3.8

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:26:30 CET 2019

Hi,

> Given we are formalizing lots of things, perhaps now that module teams
are more established we should assign responsibly for the deps they require
to them?

Well.. Such decisions should be aligned with general Blender policies. And
in the case of VFX Reference Platform we don't really have one.

What way do we want to go:
- Follow versions exactly according to reference platform?
- Follow as long as this doesn't hurt Blender development? (and somehow
draw the line between we-can-work-this-around vs.
we-do-need-to-use-newer-library)?
- Only use libc version advertised by the reference platform, making it so
Blender release can run in the studio environment?

Couple of related statements:
- Being a fully static application which has no binary plugin system
doesn't mean that diverting from VFX Reference Platform will
immediately make Blender unusable in a studio.
- Sticking to exact versions from reference platform could slow development
down, which might as well be a factor in why Blender isn't be used in a
studio.

P.S. Shall we continue discussion here or move to T68774?

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 3:44 PM Ray Molenkamp <ray at lazydodo.com> wrote:

> On 2019-11-08 1:37 a.m., dr. Sybren A. Stüvel wrote:
>
> > Are there any concrete reasons we stick to those particular versions? Or
> > is it just a matter of someone taking the time to update them?
>
> I don't think we have official rules about this but
> the un-official one I have been using for years is:
>
> Module owners what rely on a dependency can integrate
> newer versions and ask for an update of a dep once they
> are done on bf-c and the platform devs will take care
> of the rest. Previous examples [1][2][3]
>
> That being said the integration *has* to be done by the
> module teams, the platform devs just don't/can't know
> every single implementation detail of the 30-40 deps we
> rely on.
>
> Sometimes we get patches that include lib building
> support (like embree) which is appreciated but by no means
> required, odds are the platform devs for a platform
> are better and quicker at scripting deps than a dev
> that has never developed on said platform.
>
> So the barrier for lib updates is a low as I can make it
> all you have to do is test the new version works, and ask.
>
> Given we are formalizing lots of things, perhaps now
> that module teams are more established we should
> assign responsibly for the deps they require to them?
>
> --Ray
>
> [1]
> https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2018-December/049691.html
> [2]