[Bf-committers] Moving to Python-3.8

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 08:17:59 CET 2019

Generally I'm not keen on using the VFX platform, mainly because it has
a history of using old Python versions.

Further, the stated reason not to switch to Python3 in 2019 is because
of a Py/QT binding - something we wouldn't even use.

As for PyPI, when using the system's Python, you can use any modules
installed via PyPI too. While using PyPI for Blender's bundled Python
is possible, it's not obvious how this should be done.
I've made a design task for this to get feedback from Python
developers, see: https://developer.blender.org/T71420