[Bf-committers] GSoC Proposal Draft: Outliner Improvements

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 19:49:29 CEST 2019

Regarding unifying viewport and outliner selection. The proposal seems to
focus on how to handle this visually in the outliner, but there are deeper
design issues to solve.

The objects in the 3D viewport are only a subset of everything that can be
selected in the outliner. Multiple outliners can also each have their own
selection state. How and after which operator exactly should the selections
synchronized? Does "deselect all" also affect non-object items in the
outliner? What about objects that are hidden or not part of the current the
scene? Will drag & drop objects between outliners continue to work?

I'm not expecting proposals to have all the answers for these, just to
understand that visualizing this in the outliner is only part of the
problem.