[Bf-committers] Google Draco compression and Blender

Benjamin Schmithüsen schmithuesen at ux3d.io
Mon Mar 11 16:52:10 CET 2019

Hi,

thanks for the pointers! With them, I believe I found a solution: The
only change in the Blender repository would be adding a git submodule to
the extern folder and updating the CMakeLists.txt to add that as a
subdirectory like you described. That submodule in turn contains the
original Google draco repository as a submodule to be able to compile
our blender-draco-compressor library that is then stored in
/2.80/python/lib/python3.7/ with the Blender binary. I chose that
location because it is a library that we directly call from our Python
code in the io_scene_gltf2 addon (not through bpy).

Does this sound reasonable so far?

Best regards
Benjamin

On 2/27/19 6:53 PM, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There isn't really any documentation on this, best would be to copy what is
> done for a library like extern/ceres or Python module like numpy that we
> bundle. So far we have not bundled extra Python modules with Blender in
> exactly this way though, so there is no identical example.
>
> I think you would start by coping that google-draco-exporter folder to
> extern/draco. Then add a WITH_DRACO option and if that's enabled add that
> subdirectory in extern/CMakeListsts.txt.
>
> Installing the Python module to the right directory would be done in
> source/creator/CMakeLists.txt.
>
> Regards,
> Brecht.
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 5:47 PM Benjamin Schmithüsen <schmithuesen at ux3d.io>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Brecht,
>>
>> is there any documentation available on how to correctly setup a new
>> project in the extern/ folder so it can be included by Blender and
>> exposed through bpy?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Benjamin

*UX3D GmbH*